
Last week we went to a local farm to pick peaches. We had a good rain storm and it had caused a lot of the peaches to ripen and grow quickly, so the farmers offered the peaches for $10 a bushel. That is a superb price. We picked 2 bushels, or 96 lbs of peaches. I know, I know, what does anyone need with that many peaches. Well, I made 18 jars of peach jam, cut and froze 14- gallon bags of peaches that are now frozen in my freezer, waiting for the day sometime this next year when I pull them out and make a peach cobbler, or a peach pie, or have peaches on our oatmeal, pancakes, with fruit salad...you get the picture. We are getting a bit peached out already from all the ones I didn't freeze, but dang, they are so delicious. We picked a mixture of white and yellow peaches and I have to say the white were like biting into a little piece of heaven.
I found myself feeling very proud. Proud that as food prices are going CRAZY, I made out like a bandit. A peach bandit that is :) Proud that I was preparing for my family like our ancestors must have. They didn't have grocery stores to run to if they needed something. Everything had to be grown and preserved for the long cold winters and I felt a sense of accomplishment in doing that, at a good price for our families budget as well as supporting the local farmers. Though it was a humid July day it was a blast to be with my family, working together for our winter stash :)
I also am so grateful to live in the "South". The music for this post is from one of my favorite movies Fried Green Tomatoes. So appropriate. I love living here in S.C.
~ Emily 
![]()







A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
9 months ago
+button.jpg)
3 comments:
Me likey da peaches!
I would call you a Georgia-Peach, but since you live in SC I'm going to have to go with "Southern Bell." Those peaches look yummy, one of my fav fruits.
Those look sooooo good! And what a great deal! That is fantastic!
Post a Comment